It’s that time of the year when all you want to do is snuggle up under a blanket and savor a warm bowl of soup. Some of the best soups I’ve had came from Panera Bread. Sadly, the price is more than I can afford on a regular basis. So, I did my research and have added these two recipes as my household staples: Panera Bread’s Cheddar Broccoli Soup and Creamy Potato Soup.
They’re simple, they’re easy and they’re delicious. They also don’t cost a lot to purchase the ingredients and I can promise you that there won’t be unwanted leftovers. Another wonderful part is that you can easily adjust some of the ingredients to cut some of the calories.
- In the Cheddar Broccoli Soup, use fat free half and half.
- In the Creamy Potato Soup, use low fat cream cheese.
- In the Creamy Potato Soup, use turkey bacon.
Make a loaf of french bread and I promise you’ll have an amazing meal!
Panera Bread’s Cheddar Broccoli Soup
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
1/2 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.
Panera Bread’s Creamy Potato Soup
By AmyZoe on January 01, 2011
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese ( cut into chunks, at room temperature)
- 4 slices bacon ( cooked and crumbled)
- Combine broth, potatoes, and spices.
- Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- Smash a few potatoes to release the starch for thickening.
- If you like it chunky just smash a small amount of potato, but if you want it smooth smash more potatoes.
- Reduce to low heat and add cream cheese.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle a little bacon over each bowl of soup.